“If your resume is your skeleton, your LinkedIn profile is your flesh.”
I first heard this a few years ago, and couldn’t agree more. In an age where personal branding is ubiquitous, truer words could not have been spoken.
Your LinkedIn summary is your opportunity to shine! Following your profile photo and headline, it is the third most important feature on your profile, and you want to make sure you hit all the right points. While there is no formula for the “perfect” LinkedIn summary, here are a few characteristics that can help bring your experience “alive”.
1. Inject a little enthusiasm! We don’t mean exclamation points all around. While sounding professional, ensure you sound like you are passionate and engaged in what you do.
2. Keep it short. It’s called a summary for a reason. It should not divulge all your experiences, but rather entice the audience to want to scroll down and read more.
3. Cover the key points: What work do you do? How many years of experience do you have? What kind of skills do you bring to the table? Any technical skills?
4. Mention cool projects you’ve worked on. What are achievements that you are most proud of?
5. Answer the most important question. What do you have to offer? What are you looking for?
This is your personal ad, your billboard to the professional world. Make the best use of it!